|Dr. Oz talking to Oprah Winfrey|
about Greater omentum
See even Dr. Oz talks about it..
The greater omentum actually hangs over the stomach covering the intestines just like how you would wear an apron. The primary function of omentum is to store fats.. that later can be accessed and used as energy source.
Ok Enough of my anatomy lesson.. Lets talks about the cooking and preparing of Animal caul fat.
|猪网油 Pig Caul Fat|
Dont know if you can get lambs or cows caul in the market. They should have it, I guess.
To clean this lump of fat.. this is how my mum do it.
Usually when you get the fat they can be quite dirty and may have little specks of unidentified objects. I believe is sand?
- First wash it with running water and picks the dust out.. Do not rub or twist the caul with violence, you will break the membrane.
- Soak it in cold water for about thirty minutes. Drain off the water. (My mum said do not use hot water it will make the caul shrink and warp)
- Soak the caul in white vinegar (No dilution). For an hour. You can use lemon juice if you like..
- Drain off the liquid wash the caul.
- Soak the caul again in cold water for another hour. Drain off the water and pat dry it.
Now you are ready to use your fat.. you can store it in the feezer for weeks if you like.
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Fat (Parody of Mj-Bad)
You might want to check out how my mum uses this unusual ingredient to make Oyster Crépinette